Vysokoye is a town in the Kamenets district of the Brest region, 40 km from Kamenets and 3 km from the railway station connecting Vysokoye to Brest. Vysokoye was home to several magnate families throughout the centuries and the town is not unnoticed by the lovers of recreation and tourism in Belarus.
The town is situated on the high bank of the tributary of the Western Bug River Pulva. According to an ancient legend, prince Gedymin stayed here and was completely fascinated by its beauty.
The town was first mentioned in chronicles under the name of Visokiy Gorod in the 14th century. The advantageous location on the high river banks of Pulva was noticed by the Grand Duke Gedymin who stayed in this area during one of his campaigns. Throughout its long history the town belonged to many well-known aristocratic families, but Vysokoye reached its prime when belonging to the Sapieha family. In 1647, Yan Pavel Sapieha, who bought the town from Lukash Voyna, built a castle on a steep bank of the river Pulva, but the massive walls erected, did not survive a single war. Vysokoye is also famous for its craftsmen producing famous Belarusian paintings and carpets.
From 1915 to 1918, Vysokoye was occupied by troops of Imperial Germany, and from 1919 to 1920’s by Poland. In August 1920, the Soviet gained power over the town and in late August, Vysokoye was recaptured by Polsih forces. According to Riga Peace Treaty of 1921, Vysokoye was ceded to Poland and was a member of Brest povet. In September 1939, the town was released by the Red Army and together with western regions of Belarus joined BSSR.
|Phone code||+375 1631|
The best place to start ones acquaintance with Vysokoye would be from the ruins of an ancient Sapieha castle. Tourists will see the remains of military fortifications, the steep bulk shafts and parts of the stone walls. One should also visit the Potockiy palace and park ensemble preserved in almost its original form. Built in 1815, the palace is a striking example of classical architecture. In addition to the mansion, travelers will also be attracted to other buildings of the complex such as a greenhouse, wings and various outbuildings that have retained their original appearance. You can enjoy the peace and tranquility in the palace park where interesting landscape composition and natural springs are combined with exotic tree species.
High Holy Cross Church built in 1869, deserves special attention. The Russian royal family: Emperor Alexander III, Empress Maria Feodorovna and their children attended the first church service that took place. This remarkable event in the history of the town is represented by a memorial plate installed at the entrance of the church. Among other sacred sites of Vysokoye is the High Trinity Church, built in 1609 in Baroque style. There is also the chapel of St. Barbara, erected in 1772, with rich interior décor. Unfortunately the Monastery of Bonifrats founded in the 18th century by Alexander Sapieha did not survive. However, tourists have the opportunity to see the residential building of the monastery. The evidence of Jews living in Vysokoye is illustrated by the surviving buildings of a synagogue and school.
There are 4 hotels and a farmstead available for accommodation in Vysokoye.
Most of the industrial enterprises of the region are concentrated on processed agricultural products. The district operates seven food processing enterprises and these are ‘Belovezhskie syry’, Kamenetsk branch of ‘Savushkin product’ (hard cheese production) and ‘Verhovichsky krahmalniy zavod’. These products are sold in the Republic of Belarus and abroad. ‘Santa Bremor’ processes fish and ‘Agroprodukt’ processes canola. The resulting canola oil is mainly exported.
Kamenets district is one of the largest areas for agricultural production. Agriculture specialization is dairy and cattle breeding, cultivation of grain, forage crops, potatoes and sugar beet. The district occupies the 5th place in the republic on total milk production.
Copyright © 2012 - 2021 | The Minsk Herald