Temporary residence in the Republic of Belarus
An overview of the temporary residence process
Nowadays, tourists arriving to the Republic of Belarus are impressed with the rate of economic and cultural growth in the country. The wide avenues, modern buildings, beautiful parks and churches certainly do not leave anyone indifferent to the country. Large-scale construction projects also justify that the Republic of Belarus as a tempting country for investors and foreign businesses. Moreover, it is increasingly noticeable that the government does its best to guarantee high standards of living, set up new workplaces and provide a quality health care system. All of this makes Belarus an attractive country to live in.
Furthermore, according to statistics, for the last three years Belarus has taken the leading position among C.I.S countries (Commonwealth of Independent States) for the amount of immigrants moving to the country.
Therefore it is unsurprising that the procedure to obtain permission for temporary residence, is a concern for the growing number of foreigners looking forward to (or considering) working, studying or setting up a business in Belarus.
Firstly, it is worth clarifying the meaning of the term “temporary residence”. According to Article Number 46 of the Statute “On the legal status of foreign citizens and stateless persons”; temporary residence means staying within the territory of the Republic of Belarus for more than 90 days but not more than one year. Upon the expiration of one year the foreigner is obliged to leave the country or; to obtain a new temporary or permanent residence permit.
Article Number 48 of the Statute of the Republic of Belarus states “On the legal status of foreign citizens and stateless persons” the official scenarios in which foreigners may receive a temporary residency permit.
- if they arrived in the country for educational purposes – for a period of study, no longer than one year;
- if they are close relatives (parents, adoptive parents, children, adopted as sons (adopted as daughters), full brothers and sisters, grandmother, grandfather, grandchildren) of citizens of the Republic of Belarus;
- if they are close relatives of foreigners permanently residing in the Republic of Belarus;
- if they are spouses of citizens of the Republic of Belarus;
- if they arrived in the country to obtain a job; if they are ethnic Belorussians or their blood relatives in the direct line of descent: children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, who were born outside of the contemporary territory of the Republic of Belarus;
- if they have grounds to acquire citizenship of the Republic of Belarus;
- if they formerly were citizens of the Republic of Belarus;
- if they own residential premises in the Republic of Belarus;
- if they have applied for refugee status or additional protection in the Republic of Belarus;
- if they are granted refugee status in the Republic of Belarus;
- if they are given additional protection in the Republic of Belarus;
- if they receive medical care as in-patient in a public health care organizations of the Republic of Belarus;
- and also on the other grounds provided by the legislation of the Republic of Belarus, including international treaties.
It should also be noted that the list of grounds allowing foreigners to gain a temporary residence permit is quite vast and non-exhaustive. Therefore, almost every foreigner willing to get a temporary residence permit has an opportunity to obtain it. Moreover, a temporary residence permit may be issued to the family members (husband, wife, children, children adopted under the age of eighteen years) of a foreigner, who has already received a temporary residence permit.
To obtain a temporary residence permit in the Republic of Belarus, the foreigner should submit the following documents to the Department of the citizenship and migration at the place of the intended living:
- valid passport for travelling abroad;
- the completed standard application form approved by the Ministry of Internal Affairs (the samples can be found at the official website of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Belarus http://www.mvd.gov.by);
- the documents justifying the presence of the grounds to obtain a temporary residence permit (vary according to the ground of issuing permit for temporary stay, for instance, certificate of marriage, certificate of birth, tuition contract, identity card for refugee, certificate of canceling a citizenship of the Republic of Belarus and others);
- migration card;
- medical insurance (except from the citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Austria, Albania, Algeria, Brazil, Britain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Canada, China, Colombia, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Russia, Republic of Cuba, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanon, Libya, Madagascar, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Morocco, Mexico, Mongolia and Ukraine). Make sure your medical insurance policy: meets the required coverage of 5000 Dollars; contains the name, the current location and the bank account of an insurance organization, is valid on the territory of the Republic of Belarus during one year, covers such cases as a disorders of health as a result of sudden illnesses or accidents.
- documents confirming the right to stay at the place of registration (leasing contract);
- documents confirming the availability of funds to cover the costs of temporary staying in the country (certificate of employment, work-record book, pensioners certificate, deposit accounts, certificate of inheritance).
- a confirmation of the processing fee paid.
The temporary residence permit processing procedure takes 15 business days. The resolution is usually sent to the applicant by post. Nevertheless receiving a temporary residence permit demands foreigner’s personal attendance in most cases.
It is worth restating that a temporary residence permit is valid for the period of one year. Leaving the country or obtaining a new temporary or permanent residence permit upon the expiration of this period is obligatory. Changing a place of temporary residence requires notifying the Department of citizenship and migration of the new place of temporary residence within five days. It is also important to highlight that the number of agencies providing registration services for foreigners has significantly increased in the last four years. So in the case of wanting to ease the stresses of an application, these services are available for a nominal fee.
Acknowledging some of the complexities in the process, I trust the article has helped to clarify some aspects of obtaining a temporary residence permit in the Republic of Belarus and inspired you to further travelling.
Am a ghanain national with belruse tourism visa can i acquired a residence permit in the minsk,belruse?
No, unfortunately. You will need to leave the country first and then you need to appply either to student or work visa.
My wife is a citizen of Belarus. We live in the US, where she has a permanent resident card. Is it possible for me to obtain a permanent resident card for Belarus?
hii, i just want to confirm that if i study in belarus , may i go outside of Belarus or not.
You need to apply for visa In order to visit any other country in europe..
hi there if i m complete pharmacy study in belarus than i am able to get permanent residency or not. or do i have to follow another procedure?
I am from India and I am heavy duty driver how to i get work visa belarus
I just wanted spend some time Belarus I am citizen of India can Belarus government give me temporary residence in belarus
hi I am citizen of pakistan and want to buy flat in belarus can I buy from online services and the Belarusian grant me temporary resident permit kindly contact me or reply me thanks . I studied in belarus long time ago 1999 and recently I visited belarus one year ago . now a days I am in pakistan and want to buy flat in belarus and want to get residence permit .
Hi, I am a Citizen of India. I would like to turn as Entrepreneur or Work in Belarus minsk. Having 10+ Years of Exp in Software Testing. Please help me to apply for residential/Perm Visa process to initiate. I would like to apply immediatly.
Best Wishes and waiting for quick response
I am a Citizen of GHANA and leave in Ghana.I would like to visit BELARUS in some months to come ,how can I be assisted to get an INVITATION to enable me travel to BELARUS.who can help me out. I learned visa can be obtained at the Airport,how true it is.please help to get the solution.thanks
Hi I am going to Belarus to meet my girlfriend I hope to move there to live would I be able to get a resident visa then a permanent visa we will be getting married over there any advice would be grateful thank you for your help Willie Willson
Dear sir this in Imran with you from Pakistan, sir I have contacted on a consultant in Pakistan, this consultant having its office in Belarus also. I have his LIscence Registration number, I case if you want to verify it whether its existing firm or fake/false firm or company for consultancy, lets come in my question,
consultant told me that if any body apply for Businees visa he will be carged 7500-US DOLLER for ( including visa processing+Pick up from Air port +he will help to obtain new company liscense/regirtaion for businees. )
then he told me that after 1.5 years you are elligle for Permemant residency of Belarus, you will be citizen of belarus , having Belarussian Passport ,
i want to confirm wheather its true or Fake statments, form that consultants. please guide me correct way how to Get PR-cITIZEN SHIP of belarus , if i come there on businees visa, what will eb expenses there what is ther duration of PR how long it willl take to get passport.
I am an American citizen, I married a Belarusian and spent my 90 days their, now I would like to take up residency their while we do the paper work to get her to America which will take 2 to 3 years. So I am asking how do I go about gaining access to Belarus for the next year for sure? Can anyone help me please?
this is Syrian citizen , can i get permanent residency if i buy property in Belarus ?
Hi, I’m from Kurdistan I want to come to belarus to study my master and I want to find a job . How could be possible to apply for temporary residence. Thanks,
Just to be clear:
If I buy – and live in – a property in Belarus, I will get a temporary residence permit, valid for one year?
Buying property in Belarus could help to get a residence permit but it does not guarantee it. You may need to provide additional information how are you going to support yourself and what are you planning to in Belarus.
Thank you very much for answering.
I would have enough money to support myself without working.
I could also look into different work, like assisting The Minsk Herald, teaching or start a business with others…
I maybe should have added: Would that be enough?
To my reply to your answer.
I try once more, since you kindly answered the first question:
If I buy a property + have enough money to support myself + get a job or start a business, I would for almost sure get a temporary residence permit?
Yes, sure, in this case it is highly likely. However, please, make sure that you are able to prove that your money are from legal sources.
Hi, I am a USA citizen. I have significant professional sales and marketing work experience with major IT companies in California. I am interested in obtaining a temporary residence in the Republic of Belarus. I am looking for an official organization or attorney to help me with my application. Thanks
I sent an email to you, please, have a look
Hi, I am a Turkish citizen. I am interested in obtaining a temporary residence (with buying a property) in the Republic of Belarus. I am looking for an official organization or attorney to help me with my application. Thanks
Hi, I am a Turkish citizen. I am interested in obtaining a temporary residence in the Republic of Belarus by buying a property. I am looking for an official organization or attorney to help me with my application. Thanks
Hi, I am a Indian citizen. I have work exp in Banking and finance domain with UK Major banking corporation Barclays in India however i have worked from UK office (London headquarter) of Barclays bank for several months in past .I have also worked with Major IT Company WIPRO and GENPACT. I can send you my resume if required for the purpose. I am interested in obtaining a temporary residence in the Republic of Belarus. I am looking for an official organization or attorney to help me with my application.These days i am working as a self employed motivational speaker and life coach having my own Youtube channel , wish to move to belarus. skype id gags_9